Master Degree in Yacht Design - Cod.: 66396
The lectures are aimed to provide basic knowledge on telecommunications technologies employed on board the Yacht. In more detail, electromagnetic fields, propagation, communication and networking fundamentals will be introduced and in particular, antennas, radar systems, global positioning systems, satellite communications and on-board networking systems – usually exploited by modern Yachts – will be described from the technological viewpoint.
Fundamentals of electromagnetic fields. Propagation, radiation and antennas. Guided propagation structures. Optical Fibers. Radar systems.
NMEA networking standard. Fundamentals of telecommunications and networking: signals and systems, yacht radio. Satellite communications. Localization and Navigation systems: GPS. Introduction to Internet and wireless networks for voce and data (GSM, 3G, 4G, WiFi)
- F. T. Ulaby, “Fundamentals of Applied Electromagnetics”, (6th Edition), Prentice Hall, 2010 [also in Italian: F. T. Ulaby, “Fondamenti di campi elettromagnetici: Teoria e applicazioni”, McGraw-Hill, 2006].
- B. Carlson, “Communications Systems”, McGraw-Hill.
- J. F. Kurose, K. W. Ross, "Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach", (6th Edition) [Chapters 1, 2, 5, 6].
- W. Stallings, “Data and Computer Communications”, (9th Edition), Prentice Hall-Pearson, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2011, [Chapters 1-5, 8, 15, 18].
- L. J. Ippolito Jr. “Satellite Communications Systems Engineering”, Academic Press-Elsevier, Murlington, MA, USA, 2009, [Chapters 1-6].
- D. Munoz, F. Bouchereau, C. Vargas, R. E. Caldera, “Position Location Techniques and Applications”, Academic Press-Elsevier, Murlington, MA, 2009, [Chapter 7].
- M. Skolnik, “Introduction to radar systems”, (3rd Edition), McGraw-Hill, 2001.
At the end of the lectures the students will acquire the necessary knowledge to assess, design and to monitor the main elements constituting the telecommunications systems supporting the Yacht navigation.
News A.Y. 2019/20
Due to advese weather condition the Lesson scheduled on Fri December 20th, 2019 (9-13) is CANCELLED.
For the same reason, the exam scheduled on Fri December 20th, 2019 (from 14), dedicated to Students enrolled in the AY 2019-2020 and Working Students (also enrolled in previous AYs) is CANCELLED.
The aforementioned Lesson and Exam are now rescheduled on Tue January 7th 2020 at the same hours.
Electromagnetic Field and Propagation
For all of the A.Y. click here (a password is required).
For A.Y. 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2013/14: click here.
Since A.Y. 2014/15 (updated December 2019):
- Introduction - Course Information;
- Part 0 - Reference Scenario and NMEA Standards;
- Part 1 - Fundamentals of Communications;
- Part 2 - Satellite Communications and GPS.
Examination Schedule and Results
- 17/01/2020 h. 10.00 - RESULTS
- 21/02/2020 h. 10.00 - RESULTS
- 19/06/2020 h. 10.00
- 17/07/2020 h. 10.00
- 18/09/2020 h. 10.00